*** DISCLAIMER: This blog is Rated PG19. I will be swearing and making sexual innuendos. Deal with it or change the channel......

Friday, 14 September 2012

Day 8 - Trent and his cheese!!


Trent smiling for his sick obsession - cheese!
Wow – Day 8 already!  I can’t believe we’ve been gone that long already!  Do you guys miss us?  I would…….

This morning we packed up and decided to check out the Fort Stevens historical site before heading out on the open road.  It was pretty cool to see all the old bunkers and the fort that actually operated until the 1940’s.  We saw the Battery Russell as well as the actual fort and all the out buildings and other batteries that made up the fort. 
Trent and the girls posing on the Battery Russell
Each commanding officer had his own battery that he was in charge of.  We were able to walk through the bowels of them and you could feel the eerie feeling of death in some of the bunkers.  It was interesting to learn the history of how they Japanese bombed/attacked Fort Stevens and to see how everything operated.  We even got to ride in a military Jeep!

After Fort Stevens we packed up the rigs and headed for Cape Lookout State Park which was our camping destination for the night.  As I sit here at Cape Lookout typing this…..without wifi……I can hear the waves crashing to the shore.  It’s a pretty surreal sound and feeling.  I really wish Brooke and Chad could have been here with us to enjoy the sunset on a windless beach and have a fire.  I miss you guys and I tip my tiny hat to you!

Anywho – back to our day………

We left Fort Stevens and our next stop was Bay City.  We stopped at Pacific Oyster for yes – Oyster shots!!  Trent and I have never had raw oysters before and I wasn’t going to have any but I have to send props out to ma’ lady.  I had three for you!  They were AWESOME!  It’s quite the experience and I urge anyone who has the chance to try fresh oysters off the boat to do so!  There were three sizes, medium, petite and Kamomoto.  We started with a half dozen – three petite and three Kamomoto. The smaller the oyster the sweeter and the Kamomoto are the smallest.  We each had one without chewing and then the next was chewed.  They are SOOOO much better with a slight chew as you can taste the flavor so much better.  The combination of lemon, hot sauce and salt is intoxicating!  
The first half dozen we ordered
Trent having his very first oyster shot!
We ended up having a dozen between us.  Mumsey didn’t have any but Trent, Pops and I were all flushed from the endorphins.  You know what they say about raw oysters!  Wink wink, nudge nudge.  After the oysters, we had some lunch.  My salad was loaded with fresh shrimp and crab and it was to die for! 

The boys had chowder (of course) and Mumsey had the steamer clams.  Everything was so good!  We were filled up and ready for the next stop!

We wound our way another 10 miles along the coast to Tilamook.  Yes – Tilamook.  The glorious land of dairy and everyone’s favorite cheese!  This was Trent’s highlight of the trip.  Mine was the ocean and shopping (of course) and his…..well……as anyone knows……cheese.  Unfortunately, the factory was closed down for maintenance, but we still managed to sample some cheese and pick up a couple of souvenirs!!  

We looked through the factory and had some of the best ice cream – of course I didn’t have any but they did have sorbet which was great!!  We made a quick stop on the love tour and sat in the baby loaf bus!  
After Tilamook we took the scenic highway to Cape Lookout State Park.  The park is right on the ocean (of course).  We setup and Trent and I took Sophie and headed for the beach with a couple of drinks in hand.  After about 5 minutes on the beach, I had to pee and raced back to the trailer to get Dad and Mumsey.  They had to witness the beauty that is Cape Lookout.  You walk over a bluff and there in front of you in the glorious ocean.



We sat on the beach with our chairs for a couple of hours enjoying the sunset and having a couple of drinks.  The beach filled up with people watching the some come down and the girls enjoyed a little beach time as well!  
Trent and Soph enjoying a leashed walk on the beach

Now – it’s 9:30 as I sit here blogging.  Probably for no reason at all since I can’t seem to find free wifi anywhere!  I was trying to leach off some random connections, but only to get booted off.  Oh well….
Tomorrow we are up bright and early and headed to Lincoln City, which is an hour away.  They are supposed to have the best outlet shopping in Oregon and of course….NO TAX!!  So we will see how that goes!  Hopefully well……since I can always shop!  You have probably noticed that we only travel about 2 or so hours a day.  It’s perfect for us to get all the sights in!
Anyways….it’s Thursday and tomorrow is Friday, so it’s the weekend!  Enjoy everyone and we hope to be home next Friday or Saturday to enjoy the weekend before getting back to work!  We will have a beer/cider on the beach and enjoy the sunset while thinking about you all!

HAPPY FRIDAY AND LOVE LOVE TO ALL!!! 

Cape Lookout Sunset



No comments:

Post a Comment